Friday, June 14, 2013

Fortuitous Friday: Reflections on Father's Day (Nothing to see here, move along)

So it appears from the various calendars that I encounter that Father's Day is around the corner. I keep getting asked what I want and the answer remains the same: nothing. It's supposed to be a 'special day' where dad gets thanked for all the things that he does: a recognition, if you will, for his hard work. I think it's ridiculous, personally, because all those things that a father does, he's supposed to do- especially for his kids.

I take the Chris Rock approach to Fatherhood. If you haven't seen his 'Bigger and Blacker' comedy show (available on DVD and various internet sites) I highly recommend you check it out. In it he makes fun of fathers who make a big deal about 'taking care of their kids'. I've always liked his response: "N***er, you're supposed to take care of your kids."

Don't get me wrong- I'm not opposed to those of you who will take the day to escape and get some me time in. If you get a few extra hugs, a funky tie, and some macaroni-pictures for your fridge, I won't begrudge you those. I get it, I just don't want to participate. Being a father, for me, was a long time in coming (42 y.o. when she was born) and it's something I wanted. I don't need to be thanked for doing what is both natural (being a parent) and enjoyable. I suppose there are a lot of Dad's who stumbled into all this, but not me. I can't think of anything I want because I don't feel that my life has been altered, or hindered in any meaningful way.

Before becomming a father my life was dominated by games, chllin' with the missus, and heading out for pints and food once in awhile. I still play games daily, I still chill with the missus, and though it doesn't happen as much, I still get out for the odd pint when I want to. I like being a father and I see it as my job to do everything I can to be the best that I can be. Thanking me for doing my job is silly. It's like winning the lottery and then getting thanked every year for buying a ticket!

But holy shit it's tough sometimes, isn't it lads? Ha! Enjoy your Father's Day in whatever form you choose and Happy Friday Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment