Thursday, May 23, 2013

Taming the Tiger



Being both a sucker for punishment, and a stat-obsessed fool I decided to buy back the Tiger II and give it another go. Several thousand battles (and two years) ago I was quite the noob. I rage sold the Tiger II because I just couldn't win with it. Every time I encountered that 39% win rate in my service record I cringed. My efficiency was anything but, and my average damage and kills per game was horrendous. I've looked at the tank several times over and don't understand why I couldn't make it work with its decent armor (when angled) and Tier IX gun. I do remember that I sold it after a 20-game losing streak (successively in one session).

My Secret Shame


I've hated those crappy stats, and more to the point that I couldn't make the tank work for ages. The German line was my first heavy line (mistake the first) and though I knew the Tiger I wasn't the epic legend of real-life, in-game, I had heard good things about the Tiger II. The problem was that I was new to the game (2k battles or less) and somewhere along the way someone told the me the Tiger II could brawl. Sure, it could brawl, but the problem was that's all I tried to do and 'brawling' for me involved a lot of facehugging and (embarrassingly enough) circle strafing. Yes, I know. For shame. I basically played it like one should play the IS3 (sans circling of course) and got my ass handed to me time and time again. I didn't even know enough to try to hide my lower plate and to be honest I'm just learning about side-scraping now (works very nicely in the Tiger II).

The recent 30% off special saw me re-buy the Tiger II and put it into my regular rotation of tanks. My objective is two-fold: get ready for the (probable) on track event for Germany (discounted E75, yes please), and improve those god-awful stats of mine.

So far, so good. In fact I want to travel back in time and slap my fool self for using the Tiger II so badly. It's a beast- a hell of a nice tank IF you know how to play it or, at the very least, don't play it like an idiot. I have a game I'm going to (eventually) do a video for which could be the absolute best game I have ever played, in any tank. Ever. And that's saying something when my total battles is nearing 10,000. I'll be happy to sell it and move on to the E75 but for now it is performing well which just highligths the fact that there are no bad tanks- it's only the people using them.







1 comment:

  1. It would be interesting to hear something on how you play it now, aside from not circle-strafing! I also feel that I struggle in some powerful tanks, and it's always interesting hear these kind of reflections.
    /Foowashere

    ReplyDelete