Monday, April 22, 2013

World of Tanks: Still Doing It

I am still playing World of Tanks despite a vicious losing streak which was finally broken last night when I quit just after getting 8 wins and 7 losses. The last week has seen me losing regularly with nights of 5-15, 10-15, etc wearing me down. I tried loads of different tanks, including some old favorites with high win-rates like the KV-1 and the SU-26 to no avail. I turned off encounter battles as well as assault mode due to so many teams not having a clue as well. Some nights I just played premiums to minimize the pain of losing (they make good credits) and saw nights with 500-650k credits gained. All was not lost I guess. On the bright side my efficiency/WN rate stayed high (1200-1300) so I can console myself that the static factor in these losses was not, in fact, me.

NVIDEA's World of Tanks (and Planetside 2/Hawken) giveaway has been a boon for me. Between ebay, and some game-trading forums I've managed to pick up a whack of coupons and loaded up with gold and premium time. I spent an awful lot, in the end, but basically doubled the amount of gold/premium time I would have otherwise bought with regular purchases. I've paid, on average, $26 for one month of premium and 7500 gold...... several times over. The abundance of gold, bought cheaply, has loosened my purse and I've picked up some new premium tanks including the FCM-50t French Heavy, and the Super Pershing. Though I've played them only a handful of times I am happy with them thus far. The 50t is good fun and very mobile so it is a good earner.

The Super Pershing is by far the best value for money I've seen as it earns the same as my Type 59 (and the FCM-50t) on average and is the cheapest Tier VIII premium out there. As you are slow as heck you do need a good idea of where to position yourself to maximize enemy contact which will maximize your damage and credits. So far I'm losing a lot (35% win rate) but the cash is still flowing (85k is my top game so far and nothing less than 20k).

I'm struggling at the moment as I'm not really grinding anything in particular and so I bounce from tank to tank pretty aimlessly. I will sometimes focus on earning credits with all my premiums but with nothing I want to buy it feels a bit hollow. I have turned my attention to the Pershing as I've decided (after seeing it at the tank museum) to give the Tier IX Patton a go. The problem is I know that I won't play it much because the upper tiers don't draw me. I don't have a lot of fun in them as the credits dry up, and the chances you run into a top clan platoon increase and this means, when they are on the enemy team, you get stomped pretty hard. Looking at my stats it seems Tier VII is where I really shine with every medium tank I've played at this tier having around a 1400 efficiency (except for the T-20). All my tier VIII mediums, on the other hand, are sitting at about 1100 efficiency as are my Tier IX tanks (E50, IS-4, and Object 704). Interestingly all my arty are quite high as well with the GW Panther being the lowest at around 1200. Maybe I'm a natural arty player....

WoT's model of adding new tanks as game play has backfired in a way. Whenever I look at a tank I ask myself why would I want to play it? What can this tank offer that another in my garage can not? In most cases the answer is nothing. The Type 59, for example, is a good Tier VIII tank that earns me credits and doesn't see Tier X battles. It plays like the Russian line as well as the Chinese line so I don't bother with those lines at all (same with the French now that I have the FCM). I haven't touched the Chinese line, and have only done lights from the French (and a few arty) and a few td's from the British. I have over 32 tanks in my garage atm so grinding for new tanks seems pretty pointless unless they are fun, or cool looking/historically interesting. Playing the upper tiers also seems a bit pointless- I like a challenge, sure, but I don't find the upper tiers to be any more fun than say Tier VII. Playing something like the VK3002 DB with it's awful gun is a challenge enough (and one I'm meeting with a 1400+ efficiency lol). There's just something about that tank that suits my style I guess (similar to how the KV-13 did when I played it).

I guess, on the other hand, their new premium tank model (where the premiums are actually good now and rather on par with similar, non-premium tanks of that tier) has worked as I continue to buy them for real cash. I remember when the premium tanks were simply stock versions of in-tank games that just made more money. Now I think many of them are great tank in their own right and when combined with the special MM and extra credits they are by far better (The Type 59 being a great example). From their point of view I would say me buying tanks and not grinding them is rather a success.

Ah well, the same old complaints- I guess I have to re-visit them every so often in case anyone is listening. Apparently 9.0 is going to have some huge changes but they are keeping a lid on what exactly it will be. I do hope it's something interesting before I get desperate and (shudder) try to join a clan again or something.

As for my You Tube endeavour I have received some nice requests to continue and I do appreciate that. I am thinking of coming back to do some low-key videos. My problem is that I can't stand the trolls and random comments from people passing by. I like having discussions with regular viewers/subscribers but everyone else is a drain on my energy. In the future I would refrain from doing 'reviews' as they tend to bring out the worst critics. You take a couple hours to play a tank on the test server, and then post a 'review' and months later guys who've played tons of battles in the tank post critiques and insults of your game-play. It's just not worth it. Previously I was posting videos to get maximum attention (my 'review' videos of the test server, for example, would get 1000+ views) but in the future I think I'd rather not do that. A small but interested audience is better than a large, trollish one! We'll see, in any case, once I can speak without hacking up a lung as my infection continues.....

3 comments:

  1. Loosing strikes is sadness. Last day I have 7 looses in tier 7 arty Loraine before take first victory of day. In that cases I returning to Tier 1 with smart T1 or tier 2 funny arty Bison :-)

    You like yours FCM? In the beggining I try role of medium and scout and got 45% win ratio. Now in first 5 minutes I just snipe like with Panther I, supporting our heavies. It helped raise win ratio to 52%. This tank fast enought but to big and with no armor. Small damage but fast reload makes gaming style: detrack enemy tank and snipe from far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the FCM. I play it petty agressively (I also played the Panther II agressively) so I don't do as well as I could. I need to try to hang back and snipe a bit more, you're rigtht, but the speed usually gets me in trouble :)

      I'll try to snipe a bit more and see if I can improve my win rate (around 45% atm).

      Delete
  2. I turned of Assaults and Encounters long ago. Well played with a good team, they are most rewarding but sadly, as you say, most teams just can't play them. Especially encounters have so much potential that I actually miss them -- until I recall the frustration on witnessing the ineptitude...

    Just came out of a long loosing streak myself, the peak of which was a 9 kill loss in my on Prokhorovka in my FCM36 Pak40. When suddenly (I warned them in chat!) getting capped by the two remaining enemy tanks, my three fast team-mates predictably rushed from the mid ridge to out-cap instead of simply killing/resetting. This obviously, with mathematical certainty, wouldn't work and I managed to fired my reset shot at 99% but it didn't hit until 100%... I played the next 10 games in my derp Hetzer just to get over it. :)

    Looking forward to seeing some videos again!

    /Foo was here

    ReplyDelete