Friday, October 12, 2012

X-Com Enemy Unknown: Game Breaking Bug

This may be the first for a few reasons. One, I never post about games on Friday: it's usually my 'day off' where I whitter on about some aspect of my personal life. Two, this is the first time I have encountered a bug in a AAA title which is literally a game breaker.

On the Alien Assault mission in X-Com Enemy Unknown I sent a S.H.I.V. through the door into the last room. It got blown up on a hex adjacent to the door and somehow blocked it. My troops can't get through and even though I've killed the 'boss' alien there are a couple left who won't come into view of the door and let me shoot them. No problem, right, just re-load? Nope, playing Ironman so no re-loading possible.

Note the doorway appears open, but is not.

Thanks, Firaxis. Nice work on a game-breaking bug in a AAA title.

Oh, and in the spirit of Fortuitous Friday I will let you know I may be off the air for a bit. New Mouth to Feed is teething hard (very cranky) and today is also the second portion of her immunization shots which did not go very well the last time.

Happy Friday everyone!

2012-12-13 EDIT: More on the nature of this bug, and a work-around (unless you're in Ironman) here:

13 comments:

  1. Same glitch here (PS3). Enormously frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bug was posted to the forum here:
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?154941-Destroyed-SHIV-blocking-door-way&highlight=destroyed+shiv+blocking

    No sign of a reply and I note the 'bug watch' post has 80+ listed bugs. The last patch was something like 1 gig lol. It's just so frustrating considering the size of the publisher and the quality of the team that these make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that happens to me on my Ironman playthrough I might blow up the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extremely frustrating indeed. Luckily it was the first alien base assault mission and not the end one so re-starting wasn't too painful. It ended my Ironman days however as now Save is my guard against bugs.

      Delete
  4. The same thing happened to me, playing on normal difficulty at the exact same door you pictured above. Tried reloading an earlier save, well before I got ever got near the door, and the same thing happened. I didn't have any unit die near the door either, so not sure what's blocking it :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got the same thing, Classic Ironman, the door just doesnt open, I cant get into another room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NICE JOB NOT TESTING LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE POSSIBILITY IN YOUR TRIPLE-A GAME THERE FAILAXIS, LOL
    IT'S LIKE THERE'S SOME KIND OF INEQUALITY ON HOW MUCH TESTING CAN BE DONE BY A COUPLE DOZEN PEOPLE AS COMPARED TO THE EXPERIENCES THAT WILL BE HAD BY A MILLION CUSTOMERS OR SOMETHING, JESUS, WHAT THE HELL
    GOD WHY CAN'T THEY JUST MAKE THESE GAMES AS PERFECT AS I ~*DESERVE*~, I BET WE'LL HAVE TO WAIT AN ACTUAL AMOUNT OF TIME FOR THIS TO BE FIXED
    I AM SO UPSET BY THIS THAT I'M ONLY GOING TO PLAY THEIR GAME FOR THREE HUNDRED MORE HOURS, BUT I WILL NEVER ENJOY IT AGAIN EVER (OR SO I WILL PRETEND)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I'm out of troll-away spray.

      Delete
  7. I had stopped a guy on the point of the "available movement" arrow, and he was the only one that could move forward. I had to leave for work, so I just saved and shut the game down, assuming I could load it up and go.

    No dice. There was ONE time he--and only he--was able to enter the room, but everyone else was stuck outside, so he got mind-controlled and died.

    Not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same thing here, have been stuck in my ironman game for 3 FARKING MONTHS now. Last time I buy a game from this studio, that's for sure. I loved it otherwise, but support is just unbelievably poor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand them not finding something like this on release... but 3 months later and a game breaking bug still hasn't been fixed? That's just sad and extremely frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. I discovered this bug right after I saved my game ... immediately after opening the door. FML.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the bug concerns the door type itself and the center tile thats in the middle of it. I had the same bug on an XXL ship in the beginning, with the same kind of door. If you have archangel armor, you can fly over the tile by toggling flight, i had only 1 of those, so i had to abort. Playing on ironman of course. I think im going to buy 6 archangel suits now, though i really liked the ghost ones )

    ReplyDelete