Wednesday, October 31, 2012

So It's Halloween. Whoopie.

For me Halloween is the night where I hide indoors terrified of the neighborhood children and their plaintive mews for candy. Why North American's send their children out to beg for sugar and razors is beyond me. Does everyone have that good of a dental plan or, worse yet, a tolerance for toddlers mainlining sugar? Why not send them begging for useful, household items like detergent, or proper food even? Haloween, or All-Saints Day was a proper holiday in Ireland (no work and everything) and the practice of 'trick or treating' was only just catching on when I was there. Needless to say we had very few costumed kids at the door...or maybe we did but how could I tell from the dark confines of the pub?

I've done what any proper, Halloween hating man should do- I've closed the curtains, turned off all the lights and this year I've actually hung a 'sleeping baby, do not disturb' sign on the door. It's also the night where we have to put our bins out so I have a feeling the children may get their trick, if not their treat in eventually. I do realize this is one of the last years I can do this, now that I have a wee pumpkin head of my own but I'm going to put it off as long as possible, and then complain bitterly when I have to participate (only to She, of course, and not New Mouth To Feed as I'm not that much of an ass). Come to think of it, I am low on butter and a few other essentials... maybe I'll chuck her into a costume and head out to do the weekly shop.


2 comments:

  1. I too am rather dreading the day when I have to traipse about like a complete plonker interrupting the evenings of people. Definitely a duty I will see if the better half will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, but if all else fails we'll get to wear some costumes and steal some candy from the kids :)

    ReplyDelete