Thursday, September 6, 2012

Spring Cleaning Part I.

There are a ton of new games on the horizon that I am looking forward to. I've pre-ordered X-Com Enemy Unknown, Hitman: Absolution, Torchlight II, and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Its time then to buckle down and decide, once and for all, which games will be staying in my hard drive, and which will be going! It's a completely pointless exercise really, as I have tons of room, but I just hate seeing those games there all the while knowing that I have no desire to play them. It's time for a cleaning which will at least make for a couple of posts in which I get to complain about the failings of various games which is one of my favorite things in the world. Huzzah!

Embarrassingly enough, I couldn't possibly do this all in one post- I simply have too many games for that- so it will be a series of posts taking up time that I could be spending blogging about games I am playing....gosh, you see how that works for me. It's a vicious circle to be sure. So here we go in alphabetic order:

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Every once in a while I take a look at the world around me and see that millions of people are playing and (apparently) liking first person shooters. I, in turn, decide to 'fit in' and try them out. It doesn't take long for me to remember two things. First, I never really fit in, and secondly that's because everyone is usually wrong. I hate these games and most of them suck. So long Battlefield!

2. Combat Mission: Battle For Normandy (Demo)

The learning curve killed this one for me. Even after watching some You Tube tutorials I was clueless. I really don't have the time anymore to invest hours and hours learning UI/game mechanics. Too bad because it looks quite good.


5. Crawle

This would have been a feature on The Summer of Indie but I never got around to playing it. I'll look at anything that has 'sandbox' and 'survival game' in it but the graphics/style of this one just doesn't appeal. The developer is working hard, however, and was featuring new builds daily at the time of this post.

6. Cult Tycoon 2

Don't ask. I have no idea what got into me.

7. Crusader Kings II

Played it. liked it, got bored. It really does something different and that's great. The political/dynastic machinations are wonderful but I got a bit tired of it all a few children into my second game. I will always say this is a great game and do recommend it but it is, in fairness, a one-trick pony. The battles are simply a matter of numbers with no tactics and I can't even remember the economy of the game. Is there any trade? Ahh well, here's hoping other games incorporate this level of political maneuvering into their games (ahem, Total War series) or Crusader Kings III buffs the rest of the game play.

8. Dwarf Fortress

I only grabbed this because Gnomoria has taken a lot of inspiration from Dwarf Fortress and I wanted to see what it was all about. I actually spent more time watching a You Tube tutorial (4+ hours) than I did playing it (1 hour) but I got the gist of it anyway. ACII graphics = no thank you. I know that's pretty shallow, especially since I remember when ACII graphics were cutting edge but that's the way it is. I likely, at once stage said: "I wish The Adventures of Eamon had ACII graphics. That would be so cool!"

That covers A-D. E and onward in the next part! Oh, and this doesn't include my Steam library which will be yet another post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment