Friday, September 7, 2012

Fortuitous Friday: To Upgrade, or Not To Upgrade?

It's been a little over a year since I finalized my current computer system. It was my first so-it-yourself build which I researched, ordered, and put together myself. Not a big deal for those of you with some technical skill but it was a major victory for me, let me tell you. After over 25 years of playing with computers it felt good to finally build my own.

I had always intended to upgrade the RAM last but now I find myself in a bit of a pickle. I specifically picked a motherboard which would allow me to use the 3 gigs of DDR2 RAM that I had in my old system. The price of DDR2 RAM is now much higher than DDR3 and I hate to spend the money on something I know is obsolete and won't be used in my next system. I'm thinking of upgrading my motherboard and throwing in 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM which would make my computer fairly well polished (at least until I need to upgrade the video card again).

I'm not very tech savy, however, and I'm not sure what may be coming down the line. Is it worth it to upgrade to the bare minimum motherboard (I always buy cheap) and put in DDR3, or should I just put in some DDR2? I'm currently running an AMD II Quad Core with 3 gigs DDR2 and a Radeon 6570 1 gig video card. I'm pretty happy with my system overall, and the games I like don't require a top end gaming rig.

So, my choices are:

1. Spend $40 to put in some DDR2 and wait to upgrade.
2. Spend $120 for a new motherboard (AMD 3+) and 8 gigs of DDR3 RAM.

I hate polls but I'm gonna put one up anyway. They always remind me of when you were young and you invited people over for birthday parties and you worried no one would come.... or maybe that was just me :(

Thanks everyone and Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. I suggest that you go for option 2. DDR3 is way better than DDR2 in terms of speed and power consumption. DDR2 RAMs have frequencies that range from 400MHz to 1,066MHz while DDR3 RAMs clock in at 800MHz and tops at 1,600MHz. DDR3’s also runs at 1.3 to 1.6V, which is half the voltage of DDR2 RAM’s. That’s why option 2 is a better investment, especially if you’re into a lot of gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply! I will definitely go with option 2 once I get a few extra dollars in place!

    ReplyDelete