Monday, May 28, 2012

Who The Hell Reads This? The Newbie Blogger Virus Initiative Thingy.

I'm sure most, if not all, of the new bloggers that have acted due to the Newbie Blogger Virus which was started by Syp at Bio Break...wait, it may not be a virus. Let me just check.....oh, right. Initiative. It's the Newbie Blogger Initiative. My bad.

In any case, I'm sure you've all been absolutely rivited to my blog, dying to know what makes me so great and how you too, one day, can be as popular as I. Which got me thinking- as most things, you'll find, are about me in one way or another...what, don't like it? Fine, do your own blog then...oh, right you have. I see. Well, ahem, what I was saying was it got me thinking about who actually reads this blog.

Who are you, and why are you here? How many of you are there? Do I have enough beer for everyone? These are legitimate questions that will plague come to you as you blog. I stressed about page-views and stats for quite some time until I started getting spammed by, well, spammers, and realized that page-views are pretty meaningless. All the 'popular posts' off to the right (which I've been meaning to remove for some time) are only popular because 10-15 spammers hit them every day!

It took a while for it to set in, but writing your blog for you is about the best advice I can think of to give. My style isn't for everyone, to be sure (and yours may not be either), but you know who really appreciates it? Me. This is my outlet from the 'real world' and that's why games, dogs, music, rants, and nonsensical meanderings all appear. I do appreciate that others choose to read my blog and some, surely, must like it. It is not entirely for me, otherwise I'd just write a diary, and hide it under my bed hoping that She Who Will Be Named Later doesn't read it and find out that I've been wearing her dresses around the yard when she's away riding her horse.....oops, maybe shouldn't have printed that. Ah well.

In any case, if you are new to blogging and looking for advice I may not be the best person to turn. I don't get a lot of pages hits compared to the 'big-boys of blogging' and this can't, by any means, be considered a 'serious' gaming blog but I have fun. And so should you. Blogging is no different than anytying else in life, be it working, exercising, eating, or playing games. If you don't like it, you won't stick with it. Choose a theme, topic, or persona that you enjoy and do it. Feel free to change it up until you find your stride.

Good Luck, and Happy Blogging!

1 comment:

  1. If I were ever to write one of these my main advice for getting hits based on my experience would be:

    1) Bribe google image search to rank your blog higher than the actual source of the pictures you use.

    2) Have someone link to your blog on some really popular forum sometime.

    3) Post topics about some overhyped game right before it launches. Right now I would try to put "guild wars 2" in the title of every post.

    4) Attract russian spam bots by posting about how much you want to buy stuff and then allow them to comment on it. Hits are hits, man.

    ReplyDelete