Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rule 1: Never Post in a Funk. Rule Broken.

Being in a funk, be it gaming or real-life related is never fun. Trying to come up with interesting posts while in one is even more difficult. Unlike posting while drunk, a funk tends to result in either a bad post or an overly negative one. On the other hand I've posted whilst in funks and have had it work tremendously in turning my mood around. As for how my readers felt about it.....well, who knows!

Maybe it's the time of year (hurry up Spring) but I have been getting that listless, funky feeling most commonly associated with boredom of late. This is usually cyclic with me and though not to the degree of, say, a manic-depressive, I'm sure I'll be bouncing back soon. As a gamer it is sometimes difficult when your game starts to lose its grip on you either temporarilly or permanently. I base my free time around playing games, and spend a great deal of my non-free time thinking about games. It's a good old fashion addiction and one that I am quite content with.

When that glow begins to wear off it's almost like the disssolution of a relationship. Obviously not as emotional, or life-affecting, but when you invest a great deal of time into a game (as MMO'ers often do) when it gets stale, or boring (a natural occurance) you can feel listless. Every day I can't wait to get home and fire up my favorite tank and then, suddenly, there is a diminishment of the joy....a decrease in the fun. It's dissapointing, isn't it? I feel like a little kid moaning: "Now what am I supposed to do?"

I remember my Warhammer 'break up' which was a bitter, bitter affair. Not only was I bored, but I was pissed off. I felt cheated by what could have been. It was almost like I was dumped by Warhammer...well, not dumped I guess. More like I was treated badly and just didn't want the flowers, and the "I'm sorry's" anymore. No, damnit, enough of you, you'll never change! I'm off to the gaming shelter.

This isn't a complaint, per se, against my current gaming-crack (WoT) as I find the thought of any game a bit boring at the moment. 32nd Law mentioned a hard-drive cleaning and though this list may shame me with the sheer gluttony of it, here is what I currently have loaded (but am not necessarily playing) in my computer:

MMO

World of Tanks (NA and EU clients)
Wurm Online (Not updated in ages)
Red Orchestra 2 (Still not properly played)
Guild Wars (never going back, but still there)
Ryzom (not played in about a year)

Non MMO

Skyrim
Civilization 5
LA Noire
Shogun II: Total War
Tropico III
Jaged Alliance: Back in Action (demo)
Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusades
Mount and Blade: Warband
Crusader Kings II
Cities XL 2012
King Arthur II (demo)
X3 Terran Conflict
Fate of the World
Heats of Iron III
Panzer Corps
Arma II (demo)
Dead Space
Stronghold III (as bad as they say it is, that's why its last)

There is, then, no shortage of things to keep me amused but you know how it is when you get into a funk...nothing is satisfying. Ah well, that's why God invented box sets and while I don't have a television, I don't mind watching good t.v. so I've pulled out an old friend to keep me company until my gaming mojo is back: The Wire. I was watching this one long before it became cool to do so, (and yes, I am quite proud of that) and there is also Band Of Brothers if I find the urge to see something WWII related. I'm also, for some strange reason, enjoying watching World Of Tanks videos on You Tube even though the game itself is a bit dull....... oh, the fickle ways of a gamers mind. It has given me some ideas for my own videos which might be an interesting diversion until the test-server is up!

No comments:

Post a Comment