Thursday, December 1, 2011

You've Come a Long Way, Nerdy

Yes I know I'm probably insulting a load of feminists by taking the 'You've come a long way, baby' slogan and twisting it for my own needs. Ahh well.

The mystery has been solved. Sort of. This code, which appeared very mysteriously, is the effort of the UK's intelligence agency to recruit top-notch computer nerds for the defence of the nations cyberspace. The BBC explains it better that I can (poxy BBC and their quality journalism) but the gist is that the agency is in need of qualified individuals and are using alternative methods to recruit them. I note they have also used the X-box Live Network, and in-game advertising as recruitment methods as well.


If you can you might have a great job waiting.....

Gamers have come a long way. In the last 5 years I have noticed a real difference in both the attitudes of gamers and perceptions of them by the world at large. Go back, say, 20 years, and we were mostly perceived as weirdo-teenagers huddled in dank basements feverishly rolling dice in an effort to slay dragons (mostly because that's what we were doing). I still remember when dungeons and dragons was blamed as the reason for some high-profile murders (which we mostly were NOT doing).

Gaming today is more mainstream- maybe because of social gaming- and, for the most part no-one has to be ashamed to talk about it anymore. I see public postings at my own work place looking for gamers for Modern Warfare, for instance, and I have had more conversations about what games I play in the last two years than I have in the twenty-five previous (yes, I've been playing games that long). In the 80's you would have took a beating for being a 'nerd' for asking out loud if anyone wanted to game with you, and now top secret agencies are specifically targeting gamers. How far we have come indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment