Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cruel is Cruel

Like Blaq, I'm tired of people being cruel to one another weather in real life, or on the internet. I read this over my morning tea:

"A man has been jailed for 18 weeks for sending abusive messages on social networking sites."
I would encourage you all to read it. It's an interesting article and one that many of us can relate to as we will encounter, at least a few times in our lives, on-line bullies, or 'trolls'. I've run into a lot of anti-social behaviors on line, including quite a bit of scatologia. For most of you that word won't mean much, but it is a type of sex offender who receives their gratification via sexually explicit/obscene talk. This is most commonly known as a 'prank caller' but it extends to written/texted situations as well. It is a DSMV diagnosable sexual deviancy and one that is against the law in most countries.

The BBC case may be an extreme example but we don't have to let it get that far. If we remain silent while someone bullies others online, then aren't we actually encouraging it? Tell them their behavior is unacceptable before you add them to the ignore list and then report them in-game. I have spent more than a few hours of my Saturdays uploading screen shots of idiots to send into World Of Tanks.

I have no idea what happens but it makes me feel, at the very least, that I'm not putting up with these low-life, bullying, or sexually offending idiots. I have noticed a decrease in the casual use of the word 'rape' which I talked about here. I certainly can't take credit for it but I can continue to tell people that it's unacceptable. So too with 'trolling' or 'cyber bullying'. I wouldn't put up with it my neighborhood, so why would I put up with it in my cyber-community?

2 comments:

  1. I know for a fact that in Korea (South I believe) there is a law against harassing and hateful language online and it can get you behind bars. I'm not sure such laws are needed, spreading awareness and shunning people that act like dicks online should be enough. And the age-old countermeasure of course, ignoring people who do this. People seem to forget that.

    In my opinion the victim is partly responsible for the case in question. When you put a lot publicly accessible information on the internet you are running the risk of having this sort of stuff happen to you. That doesn't mean the guy isn't a dick though.

    ReplyDelete