Friday, August 5, 2011

The Greatest Show I Never Saw #3: Evil Nine


October 31, 2008 would have been a heck of a Halloween bash if I could have made this one. While Evil Nine’s Fabriclive 28 set (a modern electronic masterpiece) could arguably be considered "Japaneesy" (go on, listen to it with a black and white Samurai film on and you’ll see what I mean) this set was in support of their They Live album which is, without a doubt, the embodiment of Halloween.



But it was not to be.

After leaving Ireland we decided to move to Edinburgh. She Who Will Be Named Later has some family there and we both had run out of work during the grim economic times that was affecting the Emerald Isle (a nice way of saying my business went under and she was made redundant). We settled into Musselburgh (basically a sub-burb of Edinburgh) the Friday before the banking crisis hit and the world began its plunge into recession. Twenty thousand jobs were lost in Edinburgh alone in that first week we were there.

The work we had hoped to find simply wasn’t there. I had only one interview in the year or so we were there and didn’t hear back from countless applications. It was so bad that when I saw a dish-washing job at a local restaurant I decided to apply. I’m no stranger to a commercial kitchen, nor am I adverse to wokring hard  for low pay (I've done it plenty). By the time I phoned in, however, the job was gone. It was a real eye-opener and one in a long chain of events that would lead me back home to Canada- with my immigrant bride in tow!

In the meantime, She Who Will Be Named Later managed to get a job for minimum wage at a bookstore (not the best value-for-money use of her Msc. in Human Osteology) and together with a bit of savings we got by.

Barely.

I was roasting a chicken on Sundays and using it in at least 3 meals during the week (yes I was the unemployed House Husband). It’s only been within the last few months that we can bear to look at a chicken risotto again.

When we saw that Evil Nine was coming to the Sugarbeat club we desperately wanted to go. I had their new album (saying it’s good is redundant...it’s Evil Nine) and knew that it would be a great Halloween treat for us. Try as we might, however, we just couldn’t afford a night out. Bus fare, admission, a few drinks....it was simply beyond us. And we were gutted.

I’m not too broken up about it now for several reasons. First, we did manage to scrape together some cash and head out to the Sugarbeat club to see a couple of our favorites: Krafty Kuts, DJ Yoda, and Dynamite MC and quite frankly- the club sucked. The crowd was a aggressive (it was Scotland after all) and we ended up leaving before Krafty’s finale (sorry Krafty, but I have seen you twice before). Secondly, we eventually did get to see Evil Nine at a much better venue and they were fantastic (wait for the ‘The Greatest Shows I Ever Saw’ series for that one).

At the time, however, we felt quite letdown and sorry for ourselves, so a Halloween set by Evil Nine makes the list as one of the greatest shows I didn’t get to see. Happy Friday everyone, and of course, here’s a taste of some Evil and do check them out. They are among the best of the best and are managed by Adam Freeland's Marine Parade label which hosts a wealth of talented individuals. That site has, at the moment, an exclusive re-mix of Daft Punk's music from the Tron soundtrack. Check it out.

One from They Live- and one I should have included with my zombie posts!





 And the intro from Fabrilive 28 (buuuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyy itttttttttttttttttttttt):


01 Where Is It (Evil Nine Remix) by Gankalicious

No comments:

Post a Comment