Friday, July 22, 2011

The Greatest Show I Never Saw #4: Ivan Smagghe

My much cooler friend once told me that I was never to admit that I liked Techno. "We're connoisseurs of music" he would say, "but never admit you like Techno." I never really understood that, but like I said, he was much cooler than me so I just nodded and agreed. Techno does seem to appeal to a certain crowd (young, white males) and it is a very specific (nerdy) type of music.


The only techno set you'll ever need.

My first introduction to techno was Ivan Smagghe's Suck My Deck album which is the greatest techno album ever made. Ever. Eeeeeeevaaaaaaaarrrrrr. It is one of the only techno albums I can listen to all the way through and enjoy. I think it is fair to say that Smagghe is the master and although I haven't found anything by him that I like as much, I recognize that that is a great album.

I had a chance to see Smagghe play in Dublin's Bodytonic and I wasn't going to pass it up. I made arrangements to travel to Dublin for a boys night out only to find once I arrived that Smagghe had cancelled due to a family emergency. I was disappointed, but not completely gutted because I had actually seen him before. You may wonder why I'd bother to list this as one of the greatest shows that I didn't get to see if I had, in fact, already seen him. Good question.

You see, I 'saw' him, but it was on my stag night, in London, at Fabric. If you know Fabric, you'll know what I mean when I say the details are a little hazy. If not, just assume I was really drunk and can't remember much. Either way though I was in the room whilst he was playing I really wanted to see him at a smaller venue a little less, um, under the influence.

How can you reach for the lasers when you're too wasted to see them?
Here is some Ivan Smagghe for your Friday treat from the best of the best, Suck My Deck.

1. Méchaniques Remontées

2. The Rush (Sex with Machines) 

7. Dead Eyes Opened (Joakim Edit)


Like them and want more? Please buy the album from whatever source you can find. He isn't exactly a big-time artist- support independent music!

And for any die-hard techno fans out there, here is the Dublin set I missed- Smagghe came back a few months later and played that same club- damn him!

http://soundcloud.com/r_co/ivan-smagghe-michael-mayer-back-2-back-live-the-underground-dublin-ireland-05-12-2009 by R_co

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment