Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Canada Day and The Fourth Of July: Mit Tank!

Coming soon from the Producers of Snakes on a Plane : Tank on a Stamp.


For those of us in North America the July long-weekend will be a festive celebration of all things national. Here in Canada we like to get the jump on our American counterparts by celebrating early, so Canada Day is Friday, July 1st. Our slower American cousins will be celebrating on Monday July 4th (slow as in calendar, not, you know, mental capacity).

I have celebrated in the US on the 4th of July (I was in Arkansas) and have, of course, celebrated many Canada Days and have found them to be similar in theme and content. There will be beer, bar-b-cue and fireworks on both sides of the border. Parades and national flag waving will abound. I don’t attend anything formal but I can guarantee I will be stuffed full of charred meat and smelling of beer by about 2 pm (and by that, of course, I actually mean 11 am when my self-declared socially acceptable drinking time is reached).

This year I have decided to incorporate my gaming into the celebrations and have declared July 1st Canadian Tank Day in World of Tanks. For the entire day, or however much of it I can convince She Who Will Be Named Later to let me play OR until I"m too drunk to play (more likely) I will run nothing but Canadian tanks. This, of course, is going to be hampered by the fact that there is (really) only one true Canadian tank in WoT: The Ram II.


From http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/


Further complicating matters is that I have finally, after 250 battles (and 204 kills) put my Ram into a bit of a retirement. I stripped the crew and the upgrades (rammer, ventilator) for my new M4A4E8 Sherman (the Easy 8, a tier 6 American medium). All is not lost, though, because I have done some extensive research (well I at least briefly skimmed the Wiki) and have discovered that a modified version of the Sherman (the Grizzly) was used by Canada in WWII, as was the Valentine (a ‘Russian’ premium tank you can buy for gold which was actually made by the UK and in Canada). I don’t own the Valentine, so I won’t be using that one, but I do have the Easy 8. I should also 'shout out' to Sara, who told me about the Grizzly a while back in one of her comments- it was used by Portugal as shown in this photo:


Yay, Portugal! Thanks for supporting our economy. Bet you wish you had that cash now.....

July 4th, of course, will be American Tank Day, and I have to taken the day off to celebrate with my American cousins. One of the advantages of having lived all over the world is that you find tons of excuses to take days off (like I did on St. Paddy’s Day). Fielding only American tanks will be much easier of course as they are one of the core lines featured in the game.

A Sherman in Paris. I miss Paris.....well, the wine, cheese, food, museums, and architecture anyway- not the French so much.


If you're available, come on down! I am tentatively scheduling this for 11am-1pm CST (GMT -6) and time-zone details will be up on my clan’s xfire site (I hope). I figure early is better so there will still be plenty of time for beer and bar-b-que.

For a brief history of Canadian tank production check out this post which talks about how great we are. Take that Japan! 

"Montreal Locomotive Works’ 1949 Rams, combined with the 1400 Valentine tanks manufactured by the Canadian Pacific Railway’s Angus Workshop, gave Canada a tank production total that exceeded that of either Italy or Japan, Germany’s Axis allies. The Montreal Locomotive Works went on to complete 188 variants of the M4A1 Sherman tank, a version also produced by their American parent, designated the Grizzly"

2 comments:

  1. "Montreal Locomotive Works’ 1949 Rams, combined with the 1400 Valentine tanks manufactured by the Canadian Pacific Railway’s Angus Workshop, gave Canada a tank production total that exceeded that of either Italy or Japan, Germany’s Axis allies."

    ... though even if they'd only produced 9 Rams and a couple of Valentines, they would still have had a similar combat value to all the Italian tanks...

    I dunno if World of Tanks are planning to introduce an Italian tech tree, but they'd struggle to get to Tier VI before having to resort to weird fantasy prototypes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not have all the facts, but I think I'd lol pretty hard if they put an Italian line in :)

    ReplyDelete