Monday, May 2, 2011

The Sandbox Challenge: Wurm Online III

The adventure continues and the good news for my neighbors, who kindly donated their entire harvest of cotton and wemp to my cause, is that I have moved on (yes, I checked and no new crops had ripened since my last visit). In my quest for clay, to make a pot, to make the fish casserole, so I could stop being so hungry all the time, I ran to a nearby lake and began scouring the shores while fishing for food.
 
There was no clay but in a brilliant, and coincidental, turn of events there was a pile of dropped items lying in the lake- one of which was a clay pot. Get in! I chopped a tree and cut it up into logs, and from the logs I made kindling. The kindling, combined with a flint and steel, makes a fire pit with which to cook my fishy dinner. While not quite as good as the local chippy I added a herb to the pot and made a warm casserole which is more filling, and more nutritious than the raw, straight off the hook, fish I had been eating.

With the immediate danger of starving passed I gathered my wits (such as they are) and continued exploring the area. I found a few abandoned homesteads and houses but the contents are protected by the deed rights so I couldn’t ‘borrow’ anything inside them. I continued scavenging along the shore and foraging/botanizing hoping to get some food or seeds I could plant (onions, potato, barley, corn) and fishing/cooking to store up some food because, as I found out, food spoils in Wurm. I logged in to be told that my fish was no longer edible and had to be thrown out.

It seems obvious that fish will go bad. I’m just not used to that level of realism in a game. Usually what goes into your inventory stays until you decide to throw it out, sell it, or in my case, transfer it to a mule-alt. Remember when I said Wurm will work your thinking muscles? If the fish went bad, like in real life, how could I help preserve it. Cooking, yes, but I was curious. With no refrigeration could I use a cool, wet sack QUOTE? Or some other water-holding container? The clay pot won’t hold water (I have no idea why) so I put that idea on the back-burner and continued on.

A short time late I happened upon a lucky find. Some (sucker) had spent ages carving a cave into the mountainside and left behind a fully functional forge, anvil(s), a box full of half-finished tools, and a lump of iron. Happy days. I quickly figured a few things out:
 The forge can be lit with a flint if you have kindling in your inventory.
  1. The iron lump has to be heated to glowing hot.
  2. The iron lump can be used with a small anvil in your inventory to make a variety of tools.
  3. The large anvil lets you make a cauldron (among other things).
  4. A cauldron will boil in the forge and you can add fish to make stew.
  5. Stew is the bomb and increases my nutritional value better than anything I’ve yet found.
 I made as many tools and items as I could with that iron lump. By the time it ran out I had gained some skills and some gear. In an ironic twist of fate, I forgot to keep the precious anvils in my inventory and when I logged in the next day someone had taken them. I guess I can’t complain because although I’m anvil-less I still have my precious cotton to keep me warm at night. Mmmmmm, cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment