Monday, April 18, 2011

The Birthday Edition!

The special edition World Of Tanks week has ended, but before we resume our usual gaming banter I have to pause for a special birthday celebration. No, no, it's not my birthday, for I am ageless and eternal, but unfortunately there are others with whom I share my life who continue to age. I could possibly be like a vampire- staying young and beautiful, forced to watch those I love grow old. Ya, probably not.


Today is the birthday of my dear wife, She Who Will Be Named Later- who of course doesn't look a single day, no make that a single hour, older than she did on the day I met her. In fairness though it was quite a rainy day in Dublin, and she was covered in mud from digging a massive pit in the middle of a viking-age site so my memory may be hazy. I am very confident, then, that she doesn't look a day older than the first time I saw her. As you can see I'm not very good with this complimenting business and likely should have just said: 

Happy Birthday Dear! and not blogged all that stuff about her being older...or not older I mean. See, I'm pretty hopeless.

Of course, I am the guy who thought it was a great compliment to tell her, upon seeing a picture of her when she was 15, that "I thought you would have been hotter". The reasons I thought that would be a great compliment are difficult to explain and are, actually, best forgotten as it did take several years for that particular marital-blunder to fade into 'our' distant memory.

I say 'our' because once you are married a definite 'us' forms. It's not the dissolution of the single into the whole (we're not the Borg Collective here after all) but rather the merging of two people to form a third entity: the marriage. It can be really, really hard work sometimes but those tough times are few and far between and what lies in the middle is all that matters.

In any case it is my wife's birthday and by the time you read this I will be busily rushing about trying to ensure she has a wonderful day. I have taken the day off of work (she was not so lucky and is trapped till noon) so I have few hours before I meet her for cocktails and lunch. I think birthday's should always be special. It's the one time of the year when you are allowed to be selfish and think only of yourself. Me, me, me, me, me! That should be the mantra of everyone on their birthday.

There won't be (much) time for gaming then...... though, maybe, if I cut a few corners, I could get a cheeky couple games of WoT in....hmmm...how bad could it be if I just played for a half-hour or so? What could be the harm? Couldn't be worse than telling her she should have looked better when she was younger, could it? Could it?


Happy Birthday!


OMG, how cheeky is that! This is a picture of a cake she made for me, on my birthday! Me, me, me, me, me, me! That is my war-cry. Are you feeling sorry for her yet?

3 comments:

  1. Aaaawwww... I think she would be complimented if you said you destroyed many tanks in her honour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually on a winning streak as we speak! I think you're right- she will love the fact I played WoT instead of doing some errands while she was at work. What could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my personal opinion, I don't value birthdays very highly. I don't consider them to be special days, be it for me or for others. Maybe that's because I don't have this need for one day to be all about me? Which is probably because everyday is about me. :P

    So yeah, hb to those who celebrate them but stay the hell away from me on my birthday. I bite.

    ReplyDelete