Monday, February 14, 2011

Too Sexy to be Killed in a Smiling Accident

The lads at Killed in a Smiling Accident- whose podcast I heartily endorse (especially after getting mentioned and becoming e-famous, or at the very least, e-flattered!) have had a couple posts talking about the sexing up of mmo games, armor, and female toons in general. Trying to outdo them in terms of humor and/or wit is futile (I'm only Canadian after all, a mere apprentice in British Humor) so I thought I'd just post some pretty pictures I found which, I think, highlights their point nicely, or sexily rather:

I'm fairly sure this particular character isn't in the game (yes, I've checked).

Oh, brave liberators, the Brothels are that way.

This reminds me of the old pin-ups you used to see in WWII movies.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...those stupid computer nerds! They are over there, playing games, while we are here, flirting in a bi-sexual manner! Ha, ha, yes, you are right Grunhilda, they are foolish nerds indeed. Look! Our knees are almost touching!


We're too sexy for your tank, too sexy for your tank, too sexy for your artillery too!

I'm a model..you know what I mean...I show my cleavage on the WoT site.




I'm not adverse to a pictures of pretty girls and I actually think the World of Tanks photos are all right (except for the one where they are standing in front of the tanks.....they're blocking my view of the tanks dammit!). They are reminiscent of the old pin up girls that were in vogue during WWII. Lets face it, most of the people playing games will be male, and while I might not be an advertising executive I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that sex does sell.

On some subconscious level this must work because they continue to use it again, and again, in all types of marketing....or does it? All I know is that I'm playing World of Tanks, and had planned on doing so even before these photos were released on the web-site, but I'm never playing Caesary- despite the half-naked raven-haired, cartoon babe on that ad. I readily admit that I am outside the demographic that most advertisers are aiming at, however, so maybe it's all lost on me. Maybe, it is indeed, too sexy for ancient gamers like myself.
 




Edit:

This is an actual unit you can make in the game. They are good at immobilizing infantry units who are momentarily stunned by the power of their lycra beauty, and then can be finished off by your artillery. Not so good against air-born units. And why is the one in white wearing knee pads........?

3 comments:

  1. It's like they saw the promotional material for Red Alert 3 and thought "We'll do that! Only, with saggy green Hessian cloth outfits instead of tight Lycra, in order to both reflect the serious nature of our simulation and yet still allow us to make innuendos about 'raising your cannon into firing position'".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the marketing team were copying Red Alert 3 more closely, until the military advisor stepped in...

    "No, no, no, this won't do at all, Lycra was not part of standard issue Red Army uniforms, especially in a timeframe consistent with the spent 7.62x54mmR cartridges also depicted..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol....I have to admit, now that I've seen it the Red Alert 3 promo stuff is much more obvious! At least the WoT guys decided to go with drab looking uniforms....the Red Alert stuff is just ridiculous.....but I thought I'd edit my post to everyone could see just how silly it is....yes, that's why I've posted it...sure it is :)

    ReplyDelete