Saturday, January 22, 2011

My (RIFT) Lips Are Sealed

Shamelessly shrugging off my proclamation to 'Fight the Funk' last night, I was aimlessly sifting through various forums, and game sites, not wanting to commit to any one particular game. I was, despite my blogging bravado, and the best efforts of Evil Nine, a bit listless. The ice hadn't set in the freezer so I was having to wait for my gin and tonic which is always either rage inducing, or depression enhancing (both the waiting and the gin, in fact). I think it might actually be a crime in certain parts of the world to make a man (or woman) wait for a gin and tonic. If it was good enough for the orphans in England at tea-time, it's good enough for everyone I say.

I narrowly missed a beta invite for Earthrise  (too slow to log in and grab the free key) and was considering giving up for the night and going to bed (with the bottle of gin, of course). I checked my hotmail account to do the weekly spam delete- oh look, my non-existent World of Warcraft account has been hacked! I need to click that link to confirm it's still okay! Oooh, and look at this- my ancestors (from Nigeria) have left me some money and all I have to do is forward my bank account details. Maybe things are looking up?
 
And what's this, idling away in my inbox since yesterday? A wee message from Trion Worlds. You are invited to the beta test, blah, blah, blah......Yes, I know, all of us who pre-ordered have been and it starts on Monday. Can't wait, really, cheers.......Hey, wait a minute.....that says Alpha, not Beta. What the hell is a Closed Alpha Test....oh.....I see.....nice one.

Winner: Me! Huzzah!

I Can Has Dumb Luck?
 

I find it ever so slightly amusing since I haven't thought much about the game since my 'It's not working out' post in which I may, or may not, have said I thought it looked a little, em, graphically challenged (or that it looked like shit- one or the other). That's not to say it matters to Trion, I'm sure its just random luck that I was selected, but there you go. I've been wondering if I was going to like the game and now, it seems, I have the chance to give it a really good test.

I don't think my 'meh' attitude really has anything to do with RIFT itself, so much, as the idea of learning something new, and having to interact with a new community. I am a bit of a social-recluse in real life, and most of my fun involves, well, me............and that's all (excluding She Who Will Be Named Later, and my precious alcohol, of course). When you feel a bit down, due to the weather or what-have-you, its hard to work up the motivation for much of anything really, but here we go: Alpha invite. I can hardly say no. The game does have a lot of potential, I realize that, and it's currently shaping up to be 'The Next Big Thing' or at least 'The Biggest Thing At The Moment' and I freely admit that has me interested as well. I usually avoid hype, and especially crowds (even virtual ones) but I've been swept along this time so why fight it?

I also notice that my single RIFT blog has had the most views (at a whopping 15) of all my posts. Maybe this is how I can Win Virtual Friends and Influence People. Is it a coincidence that that book has sold 15 million copies and my blog page has 15 hits? I think not! This could be it, this could be the beginning of a new me, a popular me, a me with loads of friends. Who knows, maybe my own guild with plenty of minions to do gather my crafting resources and to inflate my ego. Then I can use guild chat to post messages like this:

<Guild><Gankalicious>I will not suffer your insubordination! There has been a shocking decline in the quality and quantity of your toadying, Guildies. And you will fall into line now!

Alternatively I could play test the game and have some fun. At the very least it will give me something to focus on and give me a chance to really sink my teeth into the game and decide if it's for me. Unfortunately for you, I am bound by a NDA in this one so:


 

Can you hear them?
They talk about RIFT
  Posting lies
Well that's a surprise

Can you see them
See right through them
They have no Alpha invite
No secrets to reveal

It doesn't matter what they say
In the MMO games people play
Our lips are sealed

There's an invite
That we must use
In our defense
Silence reveals

When you play it
Try a Stealth Rogue
That's when you'll disappear
That's when we'll be feared

It doesn't matter what they say
In the MMO games people play
Our lips are sealed

Give no mind to what they play
It doesn't matter anyway
Our lips are sealed

Hush, my playtester
Don't you cry
Quiet, Gankalicious
Forget their lies

Can you hear them
They talk about RIFT
Telling lies
Well, that's no surprise
Can you see them
See right through them
They have no Alpha invite
No secrets to reveal

It doesn't matter what they say
In the MMO games people play
Our lips are sealed

Pay no mind to what they say
It doesn't matter anyway
Our lips are sealed
Our lips are sealed
Our lips are sealed

No comments:

Post a Comment