Monday, January 3, 2011

The Gaming Days of Christmas Patch 6.0 and 7.0

I skipped yesterday's Gaming Days Of Christmas due to the fact that I have started, quite compulsively, two new games in addition to finding some time to log into Warhammer for some ganking fun late last night.


The names of those killed have been withheld pending notification of the next of kin:

That includes, from top to bottom, a SH, a BO, and a Choppa (all 1 v1). What doesn't appear on this list is the shammy I killed while destro was laying siege to the keep, and me, of course, who eventually died defending said keep.

Now back to the on-going series of Christmas posts. For those of you who are mathematically inclined you may note I don't actually have time for 12-days of Christmas since it all ends on the 6th. Or do I? That's right- double posts! You know those guitars that are like, double guitars (Simpsons anyone)?
 

And On The 6th Day of Christmas My True Love Gave To Me: Dungeons & Dragons.

Honestly. What the hell can I say about Dungeons and Dragons, or more specifically AD&D which is the version I played. Could it be the most influential fantasy role-playing game ever? If you're like She Who Will Be Named Later and you're first contact with it was the cartoon please don't every say to an 'older' gamer: "I remember Dungeons and Dragons. That cartoon, right? On Saturday morning?" It increases our blood pressure to dangerously high levels and combined with the stress of making us feel old can be lethal to the heart.

Fantasy role-playing. It was a new world but yet one that seemed familiar to me. I had been reading fantasy books for some time so the introduction of this game was like a natural evolution. The single greatest problem I had? No one to pay it with. OMG Nub! Indeed. I grew up in a small town with some collectively conservative values and naive views on life and the world at large. I may as well have been doing rails of cocaine off of dead hookers while being willingly sodomized by Satan. Honestly. There was some murder in the U.S. and it came out that the kid(s) who did it were "into Dungeons and Dragons". OMG indeed. I would have to wait a couple years and travel a few hundred kilometers away from this squalid cesspool of conformity before I would really get a chance to play Dungeons and Dragons.

Thankfully my parents didn't buy into the prevailing mentality in the town and I was allowed to play, read, or watch whatever the hell I wanted to. With or without Satan. But hookers weren't allowed. There were, after all, some limits. I was, in the summer of 1984 sent away- no, not to jail (that would come much, much later)- but to summer camp. Mmmmmm s'mores.




It was while I was at camp that I met my first (and only) 'RL' gaming friend. Though I have yet to convince him that his choice of MMO games is, quite frankly, misguided and ill-conceived (cough- WoW- cough) we share a passion for all things gaming that has spanned 26-years (sentimental tone of post now over, stop retching). We began playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons on select weekends (when I was freed from the tyrannical yoke of my small town) when I would visit him in....cue dramatic music......wait for it......The City. Though the residents of my town viewed it (probably) as a den of inequity where you could see a lasses knickers for a shiny ha'penny, it was a great break for me and a lot of gaming fun. His mom would /disagree I would think due to the fact we kept her up until 6am daily with our enthusiastic die rolling and bugbear slaying! All that practice paid off, however, when we attended a local tournament and walked way with 3rd on the A-side. Huzzah!


Yes, we were actually that cool.



And On The 7th Day of Christmas My True Love Gave To Me: The Adventures of Eamon.





The Adventures of Eamon was my first computer-gaming obsession ever. My school obtained an Apple II very shortly after the Vic 20 (1984-1895ish) and I have absolutely no idea where that first Adventures of Eamon disk came from.... no wait, I think it was one of the teachers. Yes, now that I remember it was! Memory breakthrough- Huzzah! Lets hope there's no more suppressed memories of things teachers may have 'given' me ;)

This was an amazing game and further installments were obtained through the post (I'm not linking that even for those of you too young to remember having to physically mail things). It doesn't look like much by today's standards, I know, but I was hooked. During this time I was, shall we say, having some difficulties adjusting to the expectations of the authorities who administered the rules and regulations of the school. It seems, outrageously to me at the time, that they expected, nay insisted that I not only show up for classes, but- gasp- when I did- that I be on time. ZOMG. Can you imagine? Cheeky buggers.

The result of this 'Ferris Bueler's Day Off', happy-go lucky (I thought) stance on the subject of school attendance? Detention. Loads of it. Just like in the Breakfast Club except I was alone. No Molly Ringwald, no Ally Sheedy (after all that would hardly be a punishment would it) just me, in the library, alone, after school....... with the computers........and the Adventures of Eamon....do you see where this is going?

They literally had to kick me out of school after my detentions were over. I'd stay late at my detentions. I loved detention. Couldn't get enough. When I wasn't in detention I'd stay anyway to play on the computers. Result? Division-wide change in detention policy. Detentions are now served at lunch time, in the library, with no access to the computers. Victory- School Board :(

It would be terribly remiss of me to not mention the other game I played at that time: M.U.L.E. It was a hell of a lot of fun and, according to the unreferenced, out-of-context wiki quote: "is still heralded as the first game to make effective use of the multiplayer game concept". I have no facts with which to back that up, but it must be true. Wiki said so. I personally don't remember the multi-player aspect of it because Judd Nelson was too busy smoking and carving his name in the desk with a knife to join in.


No comments:

Post a Comment