Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chasing the (Warhammer) Dragon


If you read the current Warhammer blogs (which seem to be dwindling), and forum posts you can’t help but notice two main themes:

1. Long term players are unhappy.
2. Long term players are leaving.

I am firmly in the 1st category and it won’t take much for me to slip into the second. It is with great pleasure, then, that I announce that last night, while playing my beloved Warhammer, I had fun. I know, I know. I’m as shocked as you, but it’s true!

I’ve read a few blogs and forum posts (and I apologize for not remembering exactly who you all are) that have stated what keeps them coming back to Warhammer is the hope that they will find the same excitement, or thrill they had when first playing. Warhammer is a game version of crack it would seem. The early days were an adrenaline-pumping, fun-filled, candy-land of gaming. Now...........not so much.

Last night was both unexpected and enjoyable. Just a quick gank, I said, then I’m off to bed. I logged Gankalicious and headed to High Pass to see who was about. As usual there were destruction resource runners in play so I knew I wasn’t alone. I rode over to the Tavern and noted two destro players at the entrance. Unfortunately they saw me, and their horses (or dinosaurs) must have spooked because they rode off, but never fear, I had a plan. It’s not terribly exciting but it always works: take the b.o.

Simple, but effective. When there are a bunch of destro about and they own all the b.o.’s it doesn’t take a degree in rocket science to figure out they’ll come running when order grabs one. I take the objective and tuck in behind that handy ganking pillar (as I like to think of it) and keep an eye on the door. I barely have time to take a sip of my tea when it in comes a Chosen. Not my first choice of opponents, let me tell you, but I’m not one to run away from a challenge. Winner: Me. Huzzah!

I Can Haz Victory?



Feeling pretty good about myself overall (after managing to take down a rank 33 tank, thank you very much) I decide that it might be the perfect time to log off, happy and content. And then the inevitable “Passwatch Castles Outer Door is Under Attack.” Alright, I’ll just gank one more, I think, then I’m off. Ganking is like eating crisps...you can't have just one.......Anyone see where this is going? That’s right, fun land! Population: Me, an AM, an ENG, a SW, 200% AAO, and 6 very stubborn destro.

Included among them was a 33 DoK who obligingly let me extract retribution for the other day’s humiliation at the hands of his lesser-ranked kin. Remembering this time to silence him and keep him disabled whenever possible, I managed to down him several times (heals from the AM were a massive bonus of course). He was, I have to admit, not as good a player as the other, and had he just stood his ground instead of running I’m sure it would have turned out differently. As it stands, however, the bragging rights belong to me :)

A good night, over all with my build visible for anyone who cares. Comments welcome.



TIP: In case you haven’t figured this out yet (and I don’t mean this sarcastically) never run from a WE or a WH. They may have tagged you with the ‘run-and-take-damage’ curse immediately after coming out of stealth. In addition they both have skills (which we usually spam) that bypass a portion of your armor if your back is turned. Finally, I equip flanking tactics which increase my damage by 15% when attacking from the sides or rear. Stand your ground dammit! It may go against your gaming instincts to stand there while we twirl about and attack, but you really do have a much better chance at surviving.                     

It was, over all, a classic, old fashioned, back and forth battle. The WE’s would breach the walls, we’d kill them, they’d take out our cannons, we’d destroy the ram. Once they breached the outer door I’d jump on the griffon, bomb the ram, and jump off on the outer wall where I’d stealth, and kill (or be killed) and do it all over again. They eventually took the keep and I would like to salute their determination (if not their organization), and give them a big thanks for not re-zoning to take an easier target. It was, by far, the most fun I’ve had in two months of play, and will keep me subbed for another month at least, just in case........now pass the pipe I’ve got some crack to smoke. No, wait, pass the tinfoil instead, 'cause I gotta get some sleep. White to go up, brown to go down, isn’t it?           



 “Another more metaphorical use of the term "chasing the dragon" refers to the elusive pursuit of the ultimate high in the usage of some particular drug. The term alludes to the feeling that the next ingested dosage of the drug will result in a nirvana that seems and feels imminent and conclusive, yet upon consumption never quite yields the promised experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment